This is primarily a work of philosophy comparing and contrasting their understanding of modernity and postmodernity. The Emerging Church has fallen into the realm of postmodernism and therefore has abandoned much of orthodox faith. Carson shows their sophomoric understanding of postmodernism and how this worldview affects their doctrine.
After identifying the profile of the Emerging Church, acknowledges some of the benefits of what the Emerging Church says. Overall, I agree with Carson. But in the next chapter, Carson goes on the attack. The Emerging Church brings new challenges to the orthodox Church and orthodox doctrine.
Perhaps my favorite part of this book was the analysis Carson provides with two major emergant books: Brian McLaren's "A Generous Orthodoxy," and Steve Chalke an A;lan Mann, "The Lost Message of Jesus." Carson takes everything he had discussed in the previous pages and shows how they affect these major books in the "conversation." His analysis is helpful and accurate. Each of these major writings reveal the dangers of the Emerging Church and why we should avoid this movement.
For those interested in the Emerging Church, this is a good read although it is bit of a heavy and deep read, it is very well written. Carson walks the reader through the process of evaluating this movement and it's many benefits, and also it's many dangers.
For some of what I have written on the Emerging Church, read the following:
- The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Postmodernism Part 1
- The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Postmodernism Part 2
- The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Postmodernism Part 2b
- The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Postmodernism Part 3
- The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Political Hypocrisy 1
- Update: The Final Straw: The Problem With the Emerging Church - Political Hypocrisy 2
- The Politics of the Emergent Church
- Brian McClaren and the Social Gospel: Part 1
- Brian McLaren and the Social Gospel - Part 2
- Hell? No: Brian McLaren and Doctrine of Hell - Part 1
- Hell? No: Brian McLaren and Doctrine of Hell - Part 2
- An Emerging Pro-Life: How the Emerging Church Solves The Abortion Issue
- "The Courage to be Protestant"
- "The Shack"
- Update: The Shack
- "Vintage Jesus"
- "Red-Letter Christians"
- Mohler: "'A Generous Orthodoxy'--Is It Orthodox?"
- Nuni De In Old Louisville: Emergents Continue the Conversation in Louisville
- Baptimergent: Baptist Beware
- "Why James MacDonald Is Not Emerging"